Friday 7 August 2009

Why I am a Happy Man

Tonight, as I drove to Sainsbury's to pick up milk and bread for the weekend, I felt one of those rare feelings of contentment that require one to pause and take stock of how good things are.

On the car radio I was listening to Radio 5 Live's commentary of the first match of the Football League season -- a Championship tussle between Sheffield United and the freshly relegated Middlesbrough. Middlesbrough was struggling to adapt the the frenetic pace of Championship play, but I was enjoying the sense of optimism that comes from the fresh start to a new season. I didn't care who won or lost, but hearing the Boro crowd chanting in the background of the commentary was a great harbinger for what is coming tomorrow.

Tomorrow Bath City launch their campaign against Chelmsford City. AND, I am going. That's right. The wife has given me a free pass. This is a pretty serious free pass. I will be doing a lot of laundry to make up for this one. I will need to drive to a town about ten miles away and board the supporters away coach just before 10 am. I am expected to return at about 9:30pm. On a Saturday I am leaving her to take care of the kids for the whole day. Really serious amounts of laundry we are talking.

And so I will join a couple score of fellow City fans on one of the longest away journeys of our season to play a strong team knowing all the while that the team roster only has one uninjured, recognised striker. I know this, but in my heart I am full of optimism. I can't help it. I know I probably shouldn't, but I have let hope spring eternal once more.

One other reason I'm excited. Last year arguably the most exciting match of the season was City's 3-2 victory over the Clarets. This was despite our only keeper, Paul Evans, being sent off and veteran midfielder Steve Jones having to take his place between the sticks and fend off a lot of Chelmsford shots. I was not there. I had to make do with sitting in front of the computer waiting for the results to update. This year I will be there.

And I am a happy man.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    On holiday and bit late for the thread on Conference South forum re: Conf South blog. I've put a link to your site on mine - http://dubsteps.blogspot.com (which covers Havant & Waterlooville as well as other football stuff here and there). Return link would be great.

    Best of luck for the season

    Skif

    ReplyDelete