Tuesday 11 August 2009

Just What the Doctor Ordered

Going into tonight's home opener against Maidenhead United, I had two items on my wish list: a goal for Darren Edwards, and a clean sheet for our embattled, third-choice keeper, Will Puddy. Wishing doesn't make it so, but it was so anyway tonight. I raised both hands in utter joy when the final whistle blew, knowing that Bath City had done what was required and done it in style.

More than this, though, the City squad played with passion, flair, and a real aggression. Maidenhead have a well organised defence. Last year they held City to a 0-0 draw in their first meeting. I think they will give some quality sides a bit of trouble this season. City were clearly the better team throughout the match in this instance, though. They pounded the Magpie defence relentlessly. It was clear to me that one more striker with good finishing skills and City could be challenging for promotion.

It was my fourth time to see new signing Sido Jombati play in a City shirt, but for many fans tonight it would have been the first time. It is already clear he is going to be a huge hit with the City faithful. He is both talented and entertaining to watch. His excellent pass to Edwards set up the match winner, but he also has a great work rate and surprised both the fans and the opposition with some of his footwork. The fact that he is such an unlikely looking footballer only strengthens his appeal.

Tonight was another important night as I was part of a party of nine fellow Dads from my kids' school, most of whom were making their first visit to Twerton Park. I'm going to tell more about this experience tomorrow, but have no doubt that a match this entertaining went over well with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment