Tuesday 5 January 2010

Sometimes Football Doesn't Hurt

Yesterday was my first day back to work after the Christmas holidays. As I was parking I noticed one of my colleagues had arrived at the same time. He is a dedicated Swindon Town fan, so in order to ease the shock of the first day back at work I decided to walk with him to the office and talk football. There was something significant for us to talk about as well - Swindon's 0-1 loss to Fulham in the Third Round of the FA Cup two days previously. I knew he had travelled to Craven Cottage with his dad to see the 'Robins' take on the Premiership side. Time to say something sensitive and caring to a fellow fan, still fresh in his grief.

'Sorry about you getting knocked out of the Cup by one of Bath City's former players,' I said. Bobby Zamora, the lone scorer in the match, played for Bath City for six matches in the early weeks of 2000 (before Bath City, he was nothing, by the way). This is a fact I've mentioned more and more frequently as Zamora's form has improved.

He smiled, and waved it away. 'It's okay. It was an amazing day!'

The match reports I had read had made it sound like Fulham were very lucky to come away from the match with a victory. Although Zamora had scored fifteen minutes in, the match report I read in the Daily Telegraph was full of phrases like, 'Swindon’s physical presence up front was causing problems for Fulham’s defence,' and 'Swindon looked to catch the home side off guard early in the second half.' Was my friend bitter that his team's cup run had come to an end?

Not a bit. 'There were six-and-a-half thousand of us there, and we never stopped singing. Not once. And when we stopped the penalty right before halftime, it was like we had scored a goal.'

Football is a curious spectator sport. It routinely heaps huge amounts of misery on its most ardent supporters. Anyone who's interest in a team stretches beyond the bounds of 'casual fan' feels real pain any time his team loses. Even some draws are excruciating. There are rare moments, though, when it doesn't really matter if your team wins or loses. Moments when a mere blocked penalty will send you into a frenzy. Moments when being together with your fellow fans and celebrating is enough.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure there were many Swindon supporters present in Craven Cottage who would have traded their first born for a victory. You always want a victory.

This was an occasion when even without a victory, the Swindon fans were happy with their day. And what is the magic recipe for such moments? I think I have the answer:

Play an away match in the FA Cup against a club at least two divisions higher than you. There is not pressure to win, and you get to savour the moment with the sort of fans dedicated enough to go to away matches. I had such a moment in the First Round of the FA Cup in November when Bath City travelled north to Grimsby Town. It is hard to remember it now, but a half hour before the match, as I stood with the two hundred other Bath City fans who had travelled five long hours on a coach, singing until we were hoarse while the bemused looking City players warmed up, I wasn't really worried about winning. I wanted City to play well. I wanted them to earn the respect of the League 2 club's supporters. Win or lose I was going to enjoy myself and celebrate supporting such a brilliant non-league club. I know exactly what my friend meant.

Of course, Bath City shocked everyone by defeating Grimsby Town 2-0. It was like being at the best party you've been to in years and winning the lottery about half an hour after you've arrived.

But I still knew exactly what he meant. I could understand why he was still smiling two days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment