Wednesday 7 October 2009

The Blue Blazers Speak

I had a response today to the email I sent to Somerset FA Chief Executive Jonathan Pike (see Cup Kafkaesque).

Here it is:


The Premier Cup is, as the name would suggest, the premier competition in Somerset; however I am aware that it has lost some of its lustre among the competing clubs in recent years and I know that a number of the clubs have at times questioned the relevance of the competition, especially in comparison with league fixtures or lucrative FA competition matches.

However under FA rules any clubs wishing to enter the FA Cup and FA Trophy/Vase, must as a prerequisite enter their own county cup competition to be allowed to enter the FA national competitions. As all of the teams entering the competition do also enter the Cup and trophy/vase, this then mandates that they have to enter; I would stress that this is a FA rule and not a Somerset FA one.

I hope this is of some use

Jon Pike

Chief Executive



I must admit that I was not expecting such a frank and earnest reply. He obviously did not write the Somerset FA's mission statement. To me it sounds like Mr. Pike is saying that the Somerset Premier Cup only exists in order to allow clubs to fulfil their requirements to the FA. If so then perhaps the boys in blue blazers are just as annoyed by this competition as everyone else. Perhaps each year they say to their wives, 'Well, I would like to stay home and watch Midsomer Murders with you tonigh,t but I have to go to this blasted cup final again. They're even making me wear that ridiculous blazer with the badge. Now where is it? You haven't left it at the dry cleaners again, have you?'

Well, something like that, anyway.

I've asked Mr. Pike for clarification. If this is indeed his stance then I will be contacting the FA post haste!

No comments:

Post a Comment