Monday 8 February 2010

Superbowl Tweet

Yesterday was Superbowl Sunday back home. It's practically a national holiday now. When the coverage began here in the UK on the BBC I was still writing my blog post on the Bath City v Dover Athletic match. I managed to get the video to stream online so I could flick back and forth to it while I typed, but for play-by-play commentary I had BBC 5 Live Sports Extra on in the background. This was being done by Arlo White and Greg Brady. Anyone who listens to 5 Live sports will know who Arlo White's talents as a presenter. I'd never heard him do play-by-play commentary and I have to admit I was impressed. Anyone who listens to Colin Murray's Fighting Talk on Saturday mornings knows who Greg Brady is. He is almost single-handedly making it safe for North Americans to be taken seriously as sports fans in the UK. I suppose I should could have listened to an American broadcast, but they were both excellent and so I was happy with the BBC coverage. I sat typing away, hoping the New Orleans Saints could find a way to get a win past the favoured Indianapolis Colts.

By the time the Fourth Quarter had started I had decided that Saints kicker, Garrett Hartley was the most amazing distance field goal kicker ever. How he managed three kicks over forty yards with such accuracy, under such pressure, I'll never understand. Thinking of this, and how a certain Premiership team had failed to find anyone in their ranks who could do something similar earlier in the day, I sent Greg Brady a tweet with my thoughts. Here's what he read out a few minutes later:
(it may take a minute to load, but press the black 'play' button when it appears)

superbowltweet.mp3

I'll be contacting Greg later to see if he needs any new material for his next appearance on Fighting Talk.

1 comment:

  1. Thought this might interest you - just read a great interview with BBC's reporter Jacqui Oatley (she was the first woman to commentate on match of the day) here: http://www.betweenthelines.me.uk/

    I thoroughly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete